WESTPORT — In this taxing time of year, there’s free help to be had with those troublesome 1040s, et al.
A tax-preparation service again is offered through a partnership between the town’s Department of Human Services and he AARP/VITA/IRS Volunteer Tax Assistance Program.
The program provides help — with in-person and virtual appointments — to low- and moderate-income households and senior citizens at Town Hall and the Westport Center for Senior Activities.
Appointments, required for the tax counseling, are available from Jan. 23 through April 17. To book an appointment, call 860-590-8910 or click here.
Times available for local appointments are:
- Mondays, 1-7 p.m., at Town Hall, 110 Myrtle Ave.
- Wednesdays, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., and Thursdays, 12:30-4:30 p.m., at the Westport Center for Senior Activities, 21 Imperial Ave.
Tax-assistance counselors in Westport prepared and filed more than 7,000 returns last year, nearly all of them electronically, according to a DHS press statement. Federal refunds totaling over $10 million were received by Westport clients, including some $3 million from tax credits, such as for education and earned income, the statement said.
Taxpayers should have the following information available before booking an appointment, according to program organizers:
- Government-issued photo identification.
- Social Security or ITIN numbers for all taxpayers and dependents.
- Bank account/routing numbers (blank check preferable), if a refund is expected.
- All 2022 income report forms.
- SSA1099 form for anyone paid Social Security benefits.
- W-2(s) from employer(s).
- W-2G from gambling winnings.
- 1099G from unemployment compensation payments.
- 1099: Bank interest, stock dividends, retirement distributions, broker statements.
- If itemizing deductions, receipts for expenses such as taxes paid (real estate, vehicle) and charitable contributions; and verification of the original purchase price of sold assets (home, stocks).
- Form 1095-A if health insurance was from the Access Health Connecticut Marketplace.
- For reference, a copy of 2021 tax-year returns.