James McCourt / Photo, Westport Police Department

WESTPORT — A local man is accused of pointing a handgun at a group of teens, who police said were playing a “game” to determine if bottles would break or bounce on the road in front of his home.

James McCourt, 55, of Westport, was charged Nov. 1 with first-degree threatening, first-degree unlawful restraint, first-degree reckless endangerment and second-degree breach of peace in connection with events last month.

The incident, reported to police Oct. 7, took place the previous night when teens were testing whether bottles would shatter when tossed onto the street, according to the complaint filed by one of the juveniles.

The teen told police a man — later identified as McCourt — approached the friends and allegedly pointed a gun at their heads, accusing them of breaking glass and trespassing, police said.

McCourt also allegedly demanded the youths text him photos of their licenses and then attempted to detain the group by ordering them to sit down, according to the account.

The teens, however, fled the scene.

The man’s phone number turned over to police led investigators to McCourt, and also corresponded with the address where the teen complainant reported the assailant lived, police said.

The complaint was corroborated by two other teens involved in the incident, police said.

McCourt also had contacted police Oct. 6, reporting that a group of teens threw beer bottles on his lawn and shattered glass in the street, according to the report.

McCourt said he scared off the youths, but did not mention that he confronted them with a handgun, police said.

After obtaining a search warrant for McCourt’s residence and vehicle, police detectives and patrol officers searched the premises Wednesday and, according to the report, “located a magazine for a handgun-style airsoft gun and well as the ammunition for the airsoft gun.”

McCourt was taken into custody, and formally charged at Police Department headquarters. He was released after posting $25,000 bond and is scheduled to be arraigned Nov. 22 at state Superior Court in Stamford.

The juveniles do not face criminal charges, police said.